Tuesday, May 30, 2017

SOW: Sh*t Out of Water

Am I really saying this?!  
The river is TOO low!!  
I AM really saying this!!
There is so little water in the "river" that we spend a fair amount of time
 dragging our kayaks instead of paddling them.
And our wonderful little trolling motors?  
Fuhgeddaboudit!
On my last visit, the motor survived the out journey
 but halfway back during the return, this happened:
Even with 1 prop missing, I was still outpacing Miss Vickie, who was using my older model trolling motor, until right before I reached the boat ramp
when this happened:
WHOO-EE!!!
If this had happened early in the trip, I would've been cussing up a storm and I don't censor myself like I do in this blog.  

Low water is a mixed bag because it enables us to reach spots that normally aren't dug but it also makes it very difficult to get to those spots.
Looking at the mucky, difficult river, however, made me think of a quote
 from one of my favorite comedy movies, 
"Let's make lemonade. Let's go to work."  
If you can correctly name the movie that this quote comes from AND post your answer in the comment section at the end of this blog post, you will receive a nice big chunky Peace River horse tooth similar to the biggun' in this group of teeth I found this week:

Earlier this season, I found a small piece of jaw with the root of a canine still embedded and I was trying to get an ID.  I posted it on FaceBook and was told it was probably horse but my reply was something to the effect of, "How could a horse's big Chiclette incisors fit into that space?"  When someone then commented that horse incisors don't look like Chiclettes,
 it sent me on a mission to find Chiclettes.
Not easy.
I finally went to a Bravo where they sell off-brand Chiclettes and bought a bag
 in order to prove my point.
There were no white or black faux-Chiclettes in the bag so I went with red.
You see what I'm getting at, right?
Ok...I'll move on...

Getting toward the end of the season
My mental pain starts ratcheting up to the same level as my back pain.
It has to end but I don't want it to.  Whaaaaa!!!

Vickie and I decided to camp for a night and got a late start the first day which made for a "meh" digging experience.  A few shark teeth weren't cutting it
so we finished the day in camp with some food that I ONLY eat when camping
and a poor night's sleep (coz I just don't sleep well when I'm camping).
The next morning we decided to head back to glyptodont heaven
 and see if we could scrape up a few more scutes.
Success!
I wish I could tell if any of these scutes are associated.  
I like putting puzzles together but not that much.
I also found the requisite few giant armadillo scutes
and scads of turtle.

When I find modern bones or teeth that I would like to keep, like the deer jaw in the photo, I do a quick, cautious smell test.  So far, so good!
I also added another chunky gator scute to my collection.
I took this picture before I rinsed the sand off.

Lots of antler.

Someone's house keys.

A tiny rodent mandible that led me down a dentition rabbit hole.
Probably muskrat.

More garfish scales.

Vertebra.

A crystal shell

and a few other odds and ends redeemed the weekend.

When we finally made it back to our cars, Vickie and I both swore we couldn't go the following week.  We needed to catch up around our houses, prepare for Wyoming, 
and heal,
but I was already texting her by Monday.
"Wanna go next weekend?"




7 comments:

  1. Tropic Thunder... I want my tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't count, cray-cray, lol! Ok, you'll get your tooth but you'd better treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. As much booty sweat that goes into finding those fossils.... I will cherish it😂

      Delete
    2. Thank goodness I'm standing in water while I do it.

      Delete
    3. Glad we got to go. Even though getting there and back was hell! Jealous of all your finds. Hmmm, I might have to go back!

      Delete
    4. Considering how low it got, it's strange to look at the gage and see it's spiked back up to almost where it was at the start of our season. I'm having withdrawal and trying to focus on Wyoming and Montana. I imagine when I get back, the season will be over until the fall. You stay healthy and we'll go get us some geodes!

      Delete