Monday, January 23, 2017

The Season is in Full Swing

Florida Fossil Season Is In Full Swing
The conditions have been good: 
very little rain, water levels slowly falling, and warm temperatures.
Grab your chicharrones and get going!
We enjoyed a good day on the river recently.
Everyone's in it for size so I'm still the "Finder of Small Things".
Pam screened a monster gator tooth:

Tom found his first serious chunk of mammoth tooth,
and a big, gorgeous lower bison tooth:

Meanwhile, I reeled in a toe bone, probably from a house cat:
JK!  It's a great little toe bone.
I mostly made do by finding small pieces of large animals:

a couple of glyptodont scutes and a scute from a giant armadillo.

Now that I have Tom to dig with
I've discovered he's my Elf on a Sand Shelf
If he's not in the river, I can usually find him lounging on the bank, enjoying a snack. 
I rarely stop digging, only eating when, as Pam once pointed out, I feel dizzy. 
 I live 2 hours away from the Peace River so time is of the essence.
Here's some of our finds:
Glyptodont and turtle scutes.
I keep the prettier pieces of turtle, even though they are numerous, because the day will come that I can't get in the river anymore and I'll be able to fossil hunt through the boxes I've filled over the years.
Detailed antler pieces.
A handful of gator teeth.
Turtle "peace signs" and tortoise spurs.
A few horse teeth including the big equus lunker on the bottom with a pre-equus perched on top for comparison.
Tom's first tapir cap.
My mishmash photo including sea urchin spines, fish mouth plates, dolphin ear bone, snake verts, hemi, tiger, and lemon shark teeth with a small meg thrown in, and a marble.

So if anyone who looks at my blog has made it this far, thank you!  There are millions of blogs out there and it means a lot that you check out mine.  I recently decided to apply for Adsense in the hopes that I could earn a buck or two for my efforts but Adsense turned me down, stating that blogs composed  mostly of pictures weren't eligible.  I found that interesting because the first thing that turns me off to a blog is a whole page (or pages) of monotonous writing with no pictures.
Fine!  I'll play the game by their rules and start writing more but I'll put the bulk of the writing towards the end so that my fellow fossil freaks can get their fill of photos
 and then get back to fossil hunting.
Did you happen to notice that the chicharrones are Baken-ets brand and are "$2 only"?
There, that used up some space.  Take that, Adsense!  :-)













2 comments: