Monday, March 14, 2016

Man Muscle

I'm strong,
but sometimes you need "man muscle".
One last visit to the "coral hole" (before I hopefully spend the rest of this short fossil season in the Peace River) and this time I was able to convince my boyfriend to paddle upstream against a swift current and help me bring home a couple of large fossil coral heads I've had my eye on.  The 2 heads in the above photo weigh upwards of 80 lbs each and I never could've gotten them home on my own.
It's not just getting them into a canoe.  They also have to travel back to the launch site after navigating a swift current in an overloaded boat. Typical!
Then these stone monsters have to get up into my truck and ride for a couple hours, then get into my backyard.
It's a process.
Here's my pride and joy.
I don't have the exact weight yet but it measures approximately 10" x 15" x 23" and it's SOLID.

I still managed to find a couple of interesting things mixed into the gravel.

It's beat up but it's still cool.
I'm guessing it's a mammoth or mastodon vertebra.   Surprising and frustrating to find such a big piece of fossilized bone...AND NOTHING ELSE!

That makes a baker's dozen for perfect horse teeth and I also came across 2 shark teeth and a turtle scute.

The best find of all, however,
was this excellent Rambo knife.  
I could not stop laughing about this artifact.  I'm talking with my knapper to see if he can replace the handle with a piece of antler or horn.  I'll be the coolest (or weirdest) woman on the river with my big, custom bowie knife.  
But then, we are talking about Florida.  I really can only hope to crack the top 10.


3 comments:

  1. I'd say you already are the coolest and weirdest woman on the river. But yeah, Florida's weirdness quotient makes the second half of that claim doubtful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, my name's Chris, I found my way to your blog here following a few google image searches for Cretaceous trace fossils (I have a few pieces I took to the Royal Tyrrell Museum today in Drumheller- the helpers weren't as helpful as I would have hoped :/ (...or I'm in denial that they aren't as cool as I want them to be)) Regardless, I noticed you mentioned the Peace River in this post- do you do much collecting in Canada? I just moved up here to Edmonton (okay- as of 2 years ago, but time flies), and I guess you could say I'm looking for some ditches to sit in haha, any suggestions or people you would recommend getting in touch with in the central-ish Alberta neighborhood? (I'm an engineering geologist by trade if that makes any difference- I'm somewhat fluent in rock and soil, but lacking a bit in fossil)
    Thanks!
    Awesome blog btw- super cool specimens and a witty writing style, keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris, I sent a reply to your comment but I did it on my phone and I don't see it here so maybe it didn't go through.
    Any way, I'm in Florida so I'm referring to a very different Peace River. You may have to sit in a lot of ditches to find an interesting one but keep looking and asking around.
    I visited Edmonton in 1983. Nothing to do with fossils but I wanted to share. :-)
    Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete