Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The master at work

When I refer to the "master"...
PSHYCHE!
It's not me!
It's the fabulous knapper, Roger Hostetler,
and here is one of his work spaces:
I don't know much about flint napping but I know fabulous when I see it.

I've posted the photo of a couple of points he made for me using my coral from the Alafia River.
Well, now I'm hooked!
I took him another slab that I thought was particularly pretty when I cut it.  (Actually, I took him 2 slabs: one for him, one for me)  He wrote that he had started working on it but stopped because he thought I might like it in its "preform" state, meaning, not a finished point.
Whatever!
Then he sent a photo, and it's not even the best photo...
Wow!!!
He's right, I'll take it, as is!

As I write this, it's raining
but we had a short dry spell where the river levels dropped.
I was able to combine a FCOLC meeting with 2 days of digging.

Day 1
I haven't spent much time in the Peace this season so I basically went upstream a bit and started digging where lots of other people had been digging.

Dugong rib bone fragments usually get tossed back but when I find a biggun' I take it home.

A pretty hemi.

A few worn but interesting pre-equus teeth with a deer tooth thrown in for contrast.

The odds and ends assortment.

Day 2
I was able to meet up with Pam for this day and while it was a bit frustrating,  I found enough to sift through when I got home.
Horse teeth.  
Check out the ultra-glossy finish on the tooth to the right.

Middle turtle scutes. Lots of 'em!

And the odds and ends.

I'm glad I went while I could as scheduling conflicts will keep me away for a couple weeks.









No comments:

Post a Comment