Wednesday, April 1, 2015

My back is telling me it's time

Even though I've only been to the Peace River
3 times this season,
I've engaged in enough digging that my sore back is telling me it's time to quit;
the rainy season must be right around the corner.
I have enough fabulous fossilized coral to keep my slab saw running all summer.

I didn't find many fossils this season
unless success is figured by the pound.
Coral is HEAVY but look at the beautiful fan structure visible on this piece.

My kayaks were sorely tested
but mostly by my inexperience at carrying HEAVY objects.
I had to rig impromptu scupper plugs when I learned that a kayak full of water is difficult to steer.
Here's the recipe in case you ever need it: 2 wet paddling gloves, 1 plastic grocery bag. 
 Tightly roll the gloves, wrap in plastic, plug your scuppers!

I trust Intellicast.
It's hard to leave the house at 4:30 AM, in pouring rain, for a 2 hour drive just because Intellicast says there will be a break in the storms.
But they are usually right.

Coral is the new black.
I just made this piece using a baby megalodon tooth and a red coral bead,
then a friend requested a necklace using a red coral bead she'd been given as a gift.
I told her to pick out some other beads she liked and she unknowingly picked 2 black coral tube beads I had purchased on a trip to Belize.
It must be in the air.









No comments:

Post a Comment