Wednesday, January 8, 2014

3-day fossil blowout!

     Last weekend I experienced my first ever 3-day fossil dig and I had the same thought that I had after a 3 hour massage on a trip to Thailand:  
That was a bit much.
     Both experiences sounded good in my head; something I really enjoy x3!  But the reality was exhausting; too much of a good thing.
     I prepped for my weekend by constructing the poor man's long-handled shovel.  
     Why spend $25 on a Kobalt handle when I can buy a rake handle for $12?  Probably because the rake handle made me feel like I was digging with one of those long, flexible poles a tightrope walker holds for balance.  Couple that with mental images of the thing splintering in my hands and I'm back to square one. That's $12 down the drain and $25 more to go when buy the Kobalt handle.  Sigh...
     The method of attachment seems secure but I got that idea from another fossiler.
     My plan to camp coincided with the onset of actual winter temps here in Florida but an electric space heater made my tent feel like a spa.  

     Lots of fleece and free firewood at the Pioneer campground kept me in a cozy frame of mind.

     I had ample opportunity to study this poster in the camp restroom:
     Definitely on the graphic side but that avoids any confusion about the meaning.  If you've traveled, you know that in a lot of countries the old plumbing can't handle toilet paper so you have to dispose of it in a (hopefully) nearby trash can.  In the best of situations, that still  makes for some unpleasant trips to the toilet and has always reminded me to be grateful for the modern plumbing I usually take for granted.
      
     Friday's digging took place at the hole I pulled the tire out of.  After 4 visits I truly feel like I'm done with that spot.
     Still found some nice odds and ends including a couple more tiny megs, horse tooth, glyptodon scute, etc. but I'm ready to move on.
     I chatted with Steve Friday afternoon and he drew this map for me to guide me to a digging location for Saturday.
     Before Pam and I set off in our kayaks the next morning, I studied the photo I had taken of the map and believe it or not, I actually found the place!  Steve's got an amazing memory for detail.
     I found some interesting things and might go back when the water is a little lower...or I get a better long shovel handle.  The above photo shows mostly turtle material including a record 8 "puzzle piece" turtle scutes (bottom of photo) and 3 turtle spurs (lower right).  

     I also found, in the same area, some shark teeth, mammal teeth, and a curious fossil in the upper right of the photo. It is either the root of a large tooth in a bit of jaw bone, or an unerupted gator tooth.  I'm taking it to the February club meeting to get some ID opinions.
     Day 3, unfortunately, was the SNAFU day.  I was already exhausted but had the invitation to go to a good area for megs and I couldn't say no to the opportunity.  The problems started when our host had to cancel but in a phone conversation, described the location and gave the distance as 3 miles.  For me, that's a commitment.  The 3 mile return trip would be upstream with a depleted trolling motor battery but we set off on our journey with visions of megs dancing in our heads.
     At 1.5 miles I noticed that the surroundings exactly matched the description we had been given but we second guessed ourselves because the distance was wrong.  We kept going...and going...and going.
     At 3 miles, we realized we were almost to the bridge where we park on Fridays.  Another call to our host and he pointed out that we had passed our destination and were 2 miles from the bridge.  We were actually ONE mile from the bridge and that is when I came to the realization that, for some reason, this person doubles all his distances.  Who does that?!  Is he giving the round trip total?  Being secretive about his digging locations?  I don't know but I had to do some mental wrangling to try and manage my attitude.  Sorry, Pam, for getting pissy!  lol
   
     The fossils in the above photo are all I found when we finally started digging on Sunday and within an hour or so, threatening clouds convinced us to call it a day.
     The day after my 3-day marathon was discouraging.  I don't feel like I'm 24 because I'm twice that.
I'm in fairly good shape but I'm not a member of the generation that National Geographic says is going to live to 120.  BUT, the day AFTER the day after my 3-day marathon wasn't too bad.  I've got a lot more fossiling left in me.









No comments:

Post a Comment