Saturday, December 28, 2013

The week in review

     For the third Friday in a row I went back to the same hole I had found.  It remained productive enough with little finds to keep me happy and I finally freed a big fossil I had been working on for all 3  Fridays:
     I uncovered this tire on the rock bottom of the river, buried under about 2 feet of sand and gravel.  There is a second tire next to it but I ran out of steam after finally freeing this one.  It was an interesting place to dig as the gravel is thick with broken glass, mossy plastic milk jugs, parts of old lawn chairs, etc., and this was all revealed in one small area.  My theory is that a family used to winter or vacation at that spot, up on the river bank, and they didn't understand the concept of a garbage can.
     Since my location is farther upstream, I have dug it solo with only the most basic company to keep me from feeling lonely:
     I think I am done with this site but here is the best of my haul from Friday:
     Six more megs for a total of about a dozen.  Yes, most of them are tiny but as I always say, even baby sharks need to be able to rip things to shreds.
     Love the odds and ends!  Three more turtle "puzzle piece" scutes (from the spine of their shell); I've gotten several from this one hole.  A complete ray mouth grinding plate (Lower left. My first! Woohoo!).  Two very nice dolphin periodic earbones (upper left).  A lovely little antler butt, two Florida "peace signs", a big chunk of tapir molar, and a really cool slice of vertebra, ready to be worn as a pendant.
     And lots more great shark teeth, including a lower mako.  
     All that being said, I think it's time to move on.  
     Thinking, thinking...





No comments:

Post a Comment