Monday, June 27, 2016

Summer...again...

One of my fossil buddies sent me a post 
from The Fossil Forum
which detailed a fossil hunter's trip in mid-June to a central Florida river where he proceeded to find 4 juvenile mammoth teeth, among other things.
I guess I'm going to have to get more adventurous. 

I had a few, lightweight, late-season finds in the usual places that are in keeping with my middle name:
Aimee "the finder of small things" Hankel.

A very small tooth.
It was suggested that it might be a pre-equus horse tooth which would be very exciting but when I looked at comparisons on the internet,  
my very small tooth seemed to be whispering,  "Deer."
The official word is in from Dr. Hulbert at UF and my tooth is a lower premolar from a bison, probably in the 10-30,000 year age range.
Not the glamor tooth I was hoping for but vaguely more interesting than a deer.

These teeth, however,
are screaming, "Modern horse!"


How about these whale ear bones?
I don't think you could find them much more worn out.
I call them "shabby cetacean chic." 

A respectable chunk of mammoth tooth,
that I jacked up with my shovel before I knew of its existence.

The end results of one entire day's dig:
Now THAT'S determination!

You know times are lean when you bring home dugong ribs,

and sad Peace River coral,

and the hollow shell of a disappointing "geode",

and...glass...
Always so much glass...

As always, dreaming of dry weather.










No comments:

Post a Comment