Monday, May 12, 2014

Introducing...my new kayak!!!

Feast your eyes!
     Lots of shopping and financial shuffling took place, including selling 2 of my old kayaks, but I finally pulled the trigger on this sweet setup at Auburndale Action Watersports.  Now I can hit the river with a kayak that's 20 lbs lighter and a trolling motor that is 10 lbs lighter.  That's a huge saving in effort for my tired old muscles.
     The guys at the shop added a couple of instructional decals and just for fun...
...they tacked "Turbo" onto the name of the kayak.
Can't wait to get this baby on the water!

     Driving through Auburndale was a new experience.
     I was reminded of the "30 Rock" episode where Liz Lemon ponders how, once you leave the city, every product you encounter has a slightly off-brand name.   
Circle P?
That's different, but they sold much the same items as elsewhere down here.

     Back in the Wauchula area, I was able to finish my photo montage of the Wauchula Super Market mural. 
The Last Supper and...

The Lone Ranger
Why not, right?

     The water level on the Peace River was still waaay too high to go where I wanted so I went to an area that's normally very shallow and heavily dug.  I had low expectations but anything was better than missing one of the last digging weekends of the season.
     I ended up having a fun day finding lots of cool little things.

Some awesome tiger shark teeth.

One of the biggest tortoise foot pads I've found.

Petite versions of a turtle spur, "peace sign" scute, glyptodon scute, and "puzzle piece" scute.

Crystalized auger shell.  Look at the perfect point!

And this piece of white mastodon enamel.

     The approaching summer will give me time to work on fossil jewelry creations and do some organizing of my growing collection.  Lest anyone tease me about the constant sorting and labeling of things, know that I can't help it!  It's in the genes.  Here's a pic of my nephew sorting the shark teeth I gave him on his last visit:

     Maybe I'll make a license plate for the front of my truck that reads, 
"It's a fossil thing. You wouldn't understand."


No comments:

Post a Comment