Sunday, February 16, 2014

Off the grid

     I understand the benefits of gridding an area and digging for fossils in an orderly manner
however
I don't have that kind of time (only getting 1 visit to the Peace River per week) and it seems a moot point when the majority of fossilers are potholing (digging willy nilly).

     Friday before last, I found a nice little spot and I potholed the hell out of it.
     Look at all the fun stuff I found!  Lots of megs (none perfect, of course), alligator and crocodile teeth, glyptodon and giant armadillo scutes, makos, horse tooth, etc., and lot of excellent small teeth.

Location, location, location...
This last Friday, I crossed the river (same area) to dig with Jack. 
     Yup, that's the best for the whole day.  My favorite piece is the large antler butt.
     The texture of it is fabulous and it looks like it was shed last year instead of tens of thousands of years ago.  I let my mind wander while I examined it and tried to extrapolate the size of the buck that lost it.  Very cool!
     The smallest thing I found also has great texture.
     This is a little fragment of sturgeon mouthplate.  
     I don't usually post pics of all the fragments of mammoth and mastodon enamel I find but I will today to give you an idea of the quantity.  
     I've quit keeping the tiny pieces because they really add up fast and I don't know what I will do with the larger fragments but still, it's mammoth and mastodon enamel!  Gotta keep it!

     Here's a pic lifted from the FCOLC newsletter.  I am showing off the end piece of a baleen whale jawbone that I found at the Mosaic mine.
     If I've had a good day fossiling, I like to enjoy an aprés fossil bottle of wine.  Whoops!  I meant to say "glass" of wine.  The day following fossiling, I like to indulge in an aprés aprés fossil 2 hour power nap.  Bliss!
     Under the category of "Friends, Fossils, Food, Fire" I want to point out that this product should be avoided:
     I know it shows a picture of hamburgers being grilled but there is absolutely no way that would work.  Pam and I tried it.  We're not even certain you could warm a hot dog on it.  A thin fish fillet would probably be ok.

     One of my approved gas stations along my route is the BP at Exit 48, off I-4.  It's fairly clean, well-run, and the clerks are polite.  Every time I head back to the restroom, I say, "Hello!" to this lady:
     While she seems like an excellent beer pimper, she also seems a poor choice to direct women to the women's restroom.  On the men's side, all they get is a forlorn NASCAR driver sitting on the floor:
     Actually, he looks like he's sitting on a...well, nevermind.





     




No comments:

Post a Comment